At Nokia we create the technology to connect the world. Developing and delivering the industry's only end-to-end portfolio of network equipment, software, services and licensing that is available globally. Through our research teams, including the world-renowned Nokia Bell Labs, Nokia is leading the world to adopt end-to-end 5G networks that are faster, more secure and capable of revolutionizing lives, economies and societies. Nokia adheres to the highest ethical business standards as we create technology with social purpose, quality and integrity. A truly global company, we are 160 nationalities working in more than 100 countries.
Optical Principal Consulting Engineer - This position is part of the Regional Business Center (RBC), working closely with the Business Development team, sales teams, Optical product management teams and Optical products marketing teams to help effectively capture Optical product revenue in the Americas.
The candidate will be required to be responsive to the needs of our customers and their sales teams, have knowledge of the sales process, be completely self-motivated and be able to operate in an independent manner with minimal supervision. The candidate will often be in the position to drive required next steps toward technical acceptance of NOKIA solutions with customers directly or via the systems engineering teams.
The role includes the following:
- Work closely with the sales teams (sales executives, sales managers, sales engineers) to position Optical products within the account. Coach the sales team on identifying and driving Optical business to closure. NOKIA being a large, diverse company, the candidate’s interface on the sales team may not be an Optical expert and coaching by the Optical Consulting Engineer is required.
- Once an opportunity is identified, the Consulting Engineer is responsible for developing technical acceptance strategy based on NOKIA best practices and product differentiators.
- Candidate must be able to meet with influential customer decision makers and communicate verbally or via presentation tools the exact details of NOKIA’s Optical product capabilities and the specific solutions being offered to customer.
- Candidate must develop technical material, such as white papers and PowerPoint presentations to convince customer that our product and delivery capabilities are their best option for success.
- Candidate must be able to document network designs and recommendations using presentation tools, like PowerPoint and design tools, like Visio.
- Candidate must be prepared to feed accurate product development feedback into product line management based on current and anticipated customer requirements.
- Candidate will work closely with Optical business development teams to accurately influence pricing and incentive strategy to win customer business.
- Candidate must conduct sales effort with maximum integrity, ensuring that product capabilities are accurately represented to customer and that NOKIA can deliver proposed solutions in the anticipated timeframe.
- Candidate will work jointly with many other departments and groups within NOKIA to develop interworking end-to-end solutions.
- Candidate must be extremely flexible, often juggling multiple opportunities and different accounts with conflicting priorities.
- Candidate should either possess an active Top Secret Clearance (highly preferred) or be willing and able to obtain such a clearance.
The position DOES require business travel, usually regional (Americas) travel to customer locations. However, occasional international travel to customer or company facilities will also be required. It is expected that the position will require about 35% travel. However, during peak times, travel may increase to cover customer requirements. Candidate should expect that travel at any time, including with little advance notice, is a requirement of this position.
Four-year Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science (or related technical degree and/or equivalent experience)
Graduate level degree is a plus
Skills and Experience:
Minimum 6 years of experience as a customer facing systems engineer (or consulting systems engineer, technical marketing engineer, etc.) in an Optical-focused role or demonstrated equivalence.
Candidate must have a deep understanding, hands-on, testing and deployment in a majority of the following technology and solution areas:
- Expert-level understanding of Optical products and architectures for WDM, OTN, and other application areas
- Optical protocols, including but not limited to: OTN Structure, OTN/WDM protection types, Layer 0, Layer 1 restoration
- WDM filter architectures such as FOADM, ROADM, CDC-F
- Optical modulation types and spectrum utilization
- Engineering tools (Nokia and other) to build optical networks for quotation purposes
- Optical product certification for DoD and US Federal customers (FIPS, NIAP, JITC/APL, and other)
- Carrier design philosophies and conventions for Optical architecture
- Familiarity with applicable Optical standards and industry conventions
- Product development
- The candidate must be able to write a “Feature Request Documents” describing in detail all software and hardware requirements
- Deep knowledge to challenge the Product Line Managers and Engineering Department (R&D) on how all the features will be impacting the HW and SW needed
- Deep hardware understanding, from physical ports to how each chipset behaves
- Must be on top of standardization entities, where she/he will contribute to industry standards
- Drive interoperability testing across multiple vendors where Nokia is the challenger and needs to integrate with actual vendors
- Hands-on experience with major vendor operating systems (Nokia, Cisco/Cerent, Ciena, or others), and modern Optical hardware and OS architectures
- Familiarity with merchant silicon offerings, architectures, and their uses (Broadcom, Marvell, Cavium, and others)
- Developing and delivering education on Optical IP solutions for US Federal partners and end-customers
- Synergy and interworking between Optical and IP products
- Telemetry, NETCONF, and Yang models (proprietary and standards)
- Security technologies, including but not limited to IPsec, MACsec, SSL, TLS, and others
- TDM-to-IP convergence
- Experience with IP and DC networking technologies is desired (carrier-scale routing and IP services and technologies)
- Must be able to quickly and easily master new technologies and evolving standards in various customer business disciplines (OTN, Fronthaul, TDM-to-IP, etc.). Must have experience working with product development requirements and Optical product lifecycle issues.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills for internal communication. Must have excellent customer communication etiquette and presentation skills. Must be comfortable being an Optical products “expert” within Nokia and driving other departments and sales teams toward most effectively realizing Optical product revenue.
Imagine creating technology that has the potential to change the world. Working with us, you will have a positive impact on people’s lives and help to overcome some of the world’s most pressing challenges. We act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people. At Nokia, employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Nokia culture welcomes people as their true selves. Come create the technology to connect the world.
Nokia is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. At Nokia, employment decisions are made regardless of sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information or ancestry, protected Veteran or military status, or other characteristics protected by law.